Entry Regulations in Qatar

Entry Regulations in Qatar

      Qatar grants tourist visas at border points for the nationals of more than 33 countries including USA, Canada, Iceland, West European countries, some East           European countries, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea, Brunei, Australia and New Zealand, besides the nationals of the GCC countries.             Visit visas for the residents of the GCC countries and their companions are issued at border points, while entry visas for businessmen coming from places           other than the countries mentioned above need to be arranged beforehand.

Entry Visas

      Non-Qatari or GCC citizens entering Qatar are required to carry visas. Some visas are issued upon arrival, while others must be applied for ahead of time.


      Visas upon arrival are generally restricted to residents of selected countries. The 33 approved countries are:

      The United States, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria,                 Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece , Finland, Spain, Monaco, the Vatican, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Lichtenstein, Brunei, Singapore,             Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea.

Tourist Visa

       Residents of the 33 approved countries may obtain a one-month Tourist Visa upon arrival while others visitors not listed in approved countries can apply            in advance to any authorised establishment in Qatar. It is valid for one month and cannot be extended.

Joint Tourist Visa

      Residents of the 33 approved countries may opt for a Joint Tourist Visa upon arrival that will allow them to travel freely between Qatar and Oman. It is valid         for one month and is extendable for another month.

Business Visa

      Business Visas allow Non-Qataris to conduct business and work in the country on a temporary basis. There are two types of business Visas: 

GCC Resident Visa

      GCC residents of approved professions and those accompanying them may obtain a one-month GCC Resident Visit Visa on arrival or through a Qatari                 embassy. The visa is renewable for an additional three months. Applicants should carry proper documentation proving their profession.

Transit Visa

      If you plan to stop over in Qatar temporarily (up to 24 hours) on your way to a destination, you should apply for a transit visa before you travel. The visa is             valid for 24 hours and allows you to leave the airport transfers area to stay in Qatar. The Transit Visa is also handy for workers whose job requires a short             stay in Qatar, for example, seamen and truck drivers passing through Qatar. However, a Transit Visa is not acceptable for general business visits. 

Newborn Visa

      This visa is provided for new born babies who are less than 3 months upon their arrival along with his/her mother at the entry border.

Educational Residence Visa

      If you have a place at an approved educational institution and wish to stay in Qatar during your Education course, you can apply for an Education Residence       Visa.

Investor Residence Visa

      Expatriates who invest in selected business ventures in the country are eligible to residency without sponsorship. Applicants must obtain property                         ownership documents, a certificate of good behaviour and have a medical check-up to qualify.

Residence Visa for Real Estate Owners

      Non-Qataris who invest in selected real estate projects or own property in Qatar.

Residence Visa for Beneficiary of Residential Unit

      Non-Qataris who is beneficiary of residential unit can apply this visa.

Residence Visa for Spouse, Children and Parents of Investor | Real Estate Owner | Beneficiary of             Residential Unit

      Non-Qataris families (Spouse, Children and Parents) of Investor, Real Estate Owner or Beneficiary of Residential Unit who is beneficiary of residential unit             can apply this visa and eligible to live in Qatar without sponsorship.

Return Visa

      If you, a member of your family, or a member of your household staff, have stayed out of the country for more than 6 months and your residency is still               valid and you have prior approval of entry you can apply a Return Visa.

Return Visa (in case of Passport Loss)

      This visa is issued when an expatriate loses his or her passport while being outside the country.

Official Visa

      The visa is valid for one month and can be extended for five months after medical tests and fingerprints.

Multiple Entry Visa Valid for Six months and Not Extendable Beyond One Year

      Read more

Family Visit Visa

      Expatriate workers may bring their family members to Qatar on a Family Visit Visa. The visa is valid for one month, and can be extended for up to six months       for immediate family members (wife, sons, daughters) and three months for other relatives. Visa holders who wish to apply for an extension must undergo a       medical check.

Family Residence Visa

      Expatriate employees, who earn QR 10,000 or more a month, have completed six months of employment with their company, and wish to bring their                   immediate dependent to Qatar to live with them, can apply for a Family Residence Visa. Effectively, the visa is granted under your sponsorship (assuming           you have a valid Qatar ID and Residence visa from your employer or private sponsor).

Work Visa

      Foreign employees working in Qatar are required to carry work visas. Sponsors may apply for a work visa.

Residence Permit 

      All newcomers wishing to work and live in Qatar require a Work Residence Permit (commonly referred to as an RP) for which they will need a Qatari                     sponsor (company or individual). Once a worker receives their Work Residence Permit he or she can then access many other services, apply for further         permits and licenses, sign a rental accommodation agreement, apply for a loan, and the list goes on.

     Another key benefit of the Residence Permit is that it allows the worker to personally sponsor their immediate family members (spouse, sons,                          daughters) to join them and live in Qatar.

Registering as a Working Woman 

      A woman who is in Qatar on a family sponsorship and who has approval from her husband may register to work without obtaining a separate work permit.